Posted by: Swimmer | 2009-03-13

Swimming? a good form of exercise?

Good Day, I am prefering to go to gym and swim - not sweat and heat. I am not the greatest of swimmers, but manage to get across the pool at the gym. I swim for approximately 30 mins, not constant, I do stop for a breather or two and then continue, mostly doing breastroke and sometimes just kicking my legs. My question, Is this a good enough exercise and how many times should I do this per week? Will this help with cellulite?

HI Swimmer

Good enough for what? Weight loss and cellulite? Any exercise will of course be helpful. Swimming is a difficult one because it's good in the sense that you use all your muscle mass and get a whole body workout, but in terms of burning energy, it's less effective because you don't work against gravity.

However, you need to stick with what you enjoy - if I told you that running would burn twice as many calories as swimming, but you hated running, then would you do it? Probably not. So the best advice is to stick with what you enjoy, and that's swimming.

Now, the next important thing is to develop your fitness. It gets easier and easier to burn off fat when you are fitter. So stick with this and aim to improve your swimming. That should be your goal, not weight loss, because with fitness, the rest takes care of itself.

So perhaps your short term target should be to swim faster, or further without stopping for a breather. And from there, build the training up with the aim of improving swimming, allowing weight to manage itself.