Question

SWIMMING

I do 50 laps in the pool 7 days a week and just wanted to know if this is an effective form of exercise. I try and add 2 days of wieght training. Is this a good form of maintaining weight and forming muscle.

Hi Anon

It is effective, yes. It's cardio in nature, and so you're mostly improving your lung and heart function, plus all the other benefits assicated with regular cardio exercise. Developing muscle is a secondary consequence, and unless you swim an enormous amount, you don't develop the same kind of muscle tone that you would from doing your weight training. But you're still getting stronger, and you have the weight training in there, so I think you're on the right track.

You might, for variety's sake, look at the occasional run or cycle, but if you love to swim, then keep doing it, because it's a good way to train.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/10/18

Hi Anon

Reply to fitnessdoc