Question
Posted by: Nina | 2010/10/04

Swim, cycle &  run routine

I hope you can help me with my query.

I would like to include running, swimming and cycling as part of my cardiovascular training for 3 days a week, and then resistance training on the alternate 3 days.

My question is this: How do I split the cardiovascular exercise between the three days so that it is most beneficial, but doesn''t increase the risk of injury?

Do I run, cycle and swim each once a week on the three days? Or do I double up and do two sessions of running, swimming and cycling (ie: two of the three per day, for 3 days a week)?

I would greatly appreciate your advice and input.

Hi Nina

It depends on what you wish to achieve from your training. They're three quite different activities, so you'll get very specific adaptations from each.

To begin with, one each per day is the safest and easiest way to go. Double-sessions are pretty tough to do - you do a cycle-run or a swim-cycle, that's a really demanding session and you should probably phase that in gradually. So get fit for running, fit for cycling, fit for swimming and then start to combine them.

So for now, one per day, one each per week. Then maybe in about 4 to 6 weeks, you try combinations - a bike-run (but the total length must be the same as you're used to, so each is cut in half, if that makes sense), and a swim-run are nice combinations to try. See how you handle that, but only once a week. If you manage, then twice a week. But go easy, because it's not so much injury risk, but the risk of exhaustion from training too hard that you're running if you combine them too soon!

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/10/06

Hi Nina

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc