Question
Posted by: Concerned Parent | 2012-04-13

Swim Coach : Please help

My son belongs to a swim club and at a recent meet his coach spent alot of time talking about how well other swimmers (same age as my son) in the club will be doing in the next year and talking abouttheir times and and goals until then we had thought that he had all the swimmers in the club best interests at heart.My son had also heard his coach making these comments. His behavior managed to upset a few of the parents. I myself discussed with husband and we decided that the best thing to do is to move my child to a club where the coach believed he has potential and help him achieve the " best he can be"  so we resigned from the club , since then we have been contacted by the coach and he explained that he did not mean to omit swimmers from his conversations and he assured us that he had plans for all his swimmers.
I have also met with other coaches in the interim and was impressed with their technique stroke correction , taching the swimmers how to swim a race etc , the existing coach focuses on fitness 2 hours a day of training 6 days a week, stroke correction is not part of the deal he believes as the swimmer gets stronger they will correct their stroke accordingly .

As you can see 2 very varying methods , I am confused should we move on or stay and work on the issues with the current coach ?
My child is 11 years old.

Maybe he knows somehing useful, about swimming, but clearly he's no good at communication or motivation. The coach isn't all that credible if he only reveals afterwards, after hearing you want to leave, that he had secret plans for the kids he neglected to mention. Secret plans aren't really very useful. I'm sure that those who focus on correcting errors early on, are wise and effective. To assume that a swimmer who is presumably already trying his best, will somehow magically correct such errors simply on becoming "stronger" ( whatever that actually means ) sounds naive. It doesn't sound as thoughh "working on the issues" with the current coach is an option, as he doesn't seem to agree that there are such issues

3
Posted by: Shoes | 2012-04-17

Hi there,

Swim Coaches must be qualified to coach and there is a broad range of topics covered in the course. I wonder if the first coach is qualified. I did competitive swimming and I think you should do stroke correction as early as possible otherwise bad habits creep in and are hard to be broken. Kids should do a variety of exercises and not just training up and down the pool. They should be doing starts, turns, stroke correction, kicking, pulling, sprints, long distances, etc.

It sounds to me like you should change coaches.

Hope this helps.

Reply to Shoes

Posted by: Maria | 2012-04-13

You pay for your son to be coached, so take him to the person that you think will do the best job. The reason should primarily be that they teach the correct way of swimming, rather than the coache''s gaffe during his speech. If you''re constantly doing something the wrong way you are building up your muscle memory. It might be easier to do correctly if you''re fit but you must also train your brain and your body to do things the right way from the start. It''s so much more difficult to correct it later.

Reply to Maria