Question
Posted by: Lisle | 2011-11-24

Swelling and painful knee

I have spider veins and hereditary varicose veins. I had an ultrasound with a vascular specialist about 3 weeks ago and was told that the discomfort I am experiencing is not related to this.

He suggested I see an orthopaedic specialist. I experience sharp pains in my upper outer thigh and my knee swells and pains on certain days especially when driving in peak traffic. I have been taking anti-inflammatory tablets - (panamor for 2 days) to bring down the swelling in the knee, but the sharp pains in the thigh persist.

What would you suggest?
Regards,
Lisle

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

I agree with the vascular specialist - it seems that you do have a problem with your knee and that could be either arthritis or a meniscal problem in the knee. Yes you should see a knee specialist (orthopedic surgeon) and let him make the decision