Question
Posted by: janinie | 2010-11-03

sweettooth

I am very healthy and exersize 3 to 5 time a week. I also eat mostly healthy food. I never eat junkfood. But my problem! I have a terrible sweet tooth. I do not have any resistance when it comes to chocolates, cake ice-cream etc. Is their any way I can control it.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Janine,
Perhaps your problem is not so much that you cannot resist chocolate and ice cream, but rather that you are trying to abstain from it, just like you are completely avoiding all junk food. Look, I am not trying to promote Big Macs or barrels of French fries, but what about the message I try and impart in just about every question I answer: Moderation, moderation, moderation. It is okay to occasionally have a little junk, but not too much. And trying to completely abstain is too obsessive and likely results in the forbidden fruit syndrome of obsessing. Perhaps that’s where your chocolate/ice cream cravings come from? Have a little chocolate and a little ice cream and you might not be thinking about wanting it all the time. A little sugar keeps the blood sugar stable, rather than trying to avoid sugar and having constant cravings. Does this not make sense?
Regards,
Graham

1
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2010-11-16

Hello Janine,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert