Question
Posted by: t | 2008/06/17

sweets = high levels of bile = laxatives

Hi. Is it true that one has to take laxatives every few months or less to keep one's levels of bile ok; otherwise it gets too much and one can vomit yellowish or greenish stuff as proof, and it will finally break and cause death?
I don't know if this practice is unique to black people, but throughout my childhood I was given Brooklax or Castor Oil, especially after a few weeks of indulging in very sugary food, sweets, etc., I later "graduated" to Freshen and Epsom Salts or Surge.
When I was old enough, I refused to believe the bile story and stopped taking those, and I'm still fine, I think.
Now that I have a child of my own, I'm worried there might be some truth to it. What do u say?
I know after eating very sugary food, I can feel nauseous for a while; how do u deal with this in a child?

Dear T
The gall bladder squirts gall into the bowel with every meal to assist in digesting fatty food, the gallbladder won't ever get overly full. The gall bladder will only break if it is obstructed by a gall stone or if it has gallstones in it and develops a severe infection. Then you will have severe pain in the R side with fever. Laxatives will have no effect on the function of the gall bladder. One rather needs to eat fruit and whole grain foods every day and drink 6 glasses of water, which will keep the bowel moving, than taking laxatives. It is not neccesary to give a child laxatives unless he or she is really constipated. Children should only eat sweets in moderation and preferably after a meal ( small portion) and not until they feel nauseous as this is bad for the pancreas.