Question
Posted by: Ansie | 2010/08/04

sweetners &  milk

Im trying to lose 6kgs over the next two months. my concern is that I think Im consuming a lot of milk and sweetners for someone who''s trying to lose weight.

I drink my coffee at 8am, I take it with 2% milk and 2 sweetners. Then at 10am I eat my All bran flakes with 2% milk. And again 7pm after supper when I get home I drink tea with 2 sweetners and 2% milk.

Is this too much milk and sweetners per day ? do I need to cut down in order to lose weight? if so how many sweetners should I take per day?

Dear Ansie
Low-fat milk and dairy products are the one thing that women should Never cut down on even when they lose weight, for the following reasons: a) Low-fat or 2% milk is a low-energy, low-glycaemic index food that will not make you fat b) milk and dairy products are the best source of readily available calcium in the human diet and adult women require at least 1200 mg of calcium a day to prevent brittle bones and future osteoporosis. c) Diets that are rich in calcium also promote weightloss. From what you say you are probably not even having 1 cup of milk a day and adult women require 3 cups or milk or yoghurt or 2 cups milk and 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese to provide the 1200 mg of calcium. So don't cut down on your 2% milk intake, rather make sure that you have the 3 servings of dairy a day. You also say that you are having 4 sweeteners per day which is a low intake and should not pose a problem.
So do cut down on high-fat foods and do some exercise to lose those 6 kg, but don't reduce your milk intake.

1

Dear Ansie