Posted by: Bambi | 2009-02-11

Hi there Dietdoc

At the gym the other day one of my friends told me that xylitol (which i use) has the same effect as any other sugar on my sugar levels and that i should eliminate it to avoid having spikes in my sugar and energy levels. Is this true?

He also encouraged me cut caffeine out totally. I have one cup of coffee (mornings) and one cup of tea (evenings) a day with fat-free milk and 1 tsp xylitol.

Thanks for all the input you give and its nice to know that you usually respond soooo quickly. We appreciate it.

Dear Bambi
Thanks so much for your kind words, I really appreciate them. Your friend is obviously not a nutrition expert! According to 'The SA Glycemic Index Guide', xilitol which can be used as a sugar substitute has a low-GI so it won't give you spikes in your sugar or energy levels. Xilitol can cause upset tummies if even in large quantities, but at 1 teaspoon a day this should not be a problem. And the story about caffeine is also not true because at the rate of 2 cups of caffeine-containing beverages, you are not in any danger of overdosing. High intakes of caffeine can have a stimulating effect, but you can certainly have your cup of coffee and cup of tea per day.

Posted by: Bambi | 2009-02-12

Yeeeeaaaaaahhhhh....Thanks Doc

Reply to Bambi