Question
Posted by: Anon | 2009-07-22

Sweetener or no sweetener?

Hi Doc I have been observing the eating habits of the ladies in the weightloss talk forum and most of them use sweetener in their coffee .

Can I use sweetener in my coffee if I want to lose weight ?
Is it Healthy ?
Is it 0 % calories really ?

Dear Sweetener
You can use non-calorific sweeteners like Aspartame in coffee or tea in moderate quantities, because the general consensus of international expert groups is that aspartame is safe for human consumption. You can read the article I wrote on this subject, by clicking on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then doing a search with 'Aspartame' to find the article on 'The Aspartame Controversy'. Aspartame is made from an amino acid called phenylalanine so anyone who eats meat, fish, eggs, etc, will ingest higher levels of phenylalanine, than someone using Canderel or having an artificially sweetened cold drink. If the regulatory authorities in countries like the USA, UK and Europe have declared aspartame to be safe and generally acceptable, then you can certainly use it in moderation. Most of these sweeteners contain a few calories or kJ, but this is so little that it will not have a negative effect on weightloss.