Question
Posted by: Paris | 2008/09/22

Sweet tooth =can' t control it = diabetes

Dear Doc

I have a major problem with my sweet tooth. I just can' t stop loving sugar and lots and lots of it.
I' m not overweight, got a bmi of 19 and i' m 25 years old.
The problem is that i need to start cutting sugar because i have a history in the family of diabetes.
what alternative would you suggest that i can use or eat to help with the sugar cravings?
I' ve tried Xylitol sugar, but it gives one " gas"  (don' t like the word, sounds terrible) because i know it is made from prunes.

Please help.

Dear Paris
If you have a family history of diabetes then it is a good idea to cut down on excessive sugar intake. I would suggest that you start re-educating your tastebuds to foods such as fruit (fresh and dried) and other carbs. If your craving for sugar is a habit then you will be able to gradually wean yourself of eating such large amounts - have 1 less teaspoon of sugar or 1 less sweet a day, until you are down to a minimum amount. If you still require the sweet taste, then change to artificial sweeteners like aspartame in your coffee, tea and cold drinks. Aspartame has been declared safe for use by international health authorities. However, in some cases, sugar cravings can be triggered by the fact that you are not eating sufficient carbs. If this is the case with you then it is important to ensure that you are getting at least 1-2 portions of low-glycaemic index (GI) foods at each meal. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI to get information on these foods.

2
Posted by: Bambi | 2008/09/22

Wow, i didn' t know that Xylitol is made of prunes...

Reply to Bambi
Posted by: Paris | 2008/09/22

FORGOT TO ADD:
normal sweetner gives me major headaches.

Reply to Paris