Question
Posted by: Anne | 2010/04/04

Sweet tooth

I have a 15 year old son that constantly wants to eat sweet things. He is a national swimmer and trains 8 times a week. He is very healthy and hardly get colds / flu. He has this constant desire to eat sweets. Even if i say no, he owns his own pocket money and buys it and then hides the sweeties. He is not gaining any ''unhealthy ''weight and is a ball of muscle, but my concern is that he might develop diabetis or something like that. He has always been a fussy eater and i always have to plan to cater for his needs as well. A i just a paranoid mother? If not, what can i do about it.

Dear Anne
The fact that your 15-year-old son eats a lot of sweet things, is probably an indication that he is not getting enough carbohydrates to fuel his strenuous exercise 8 times a week. Please contact a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you work out a diet for this young athlete that provides him with sufficient carbohydrates and energy. The dietitian will have to calculate what he is eating at present and check if this meets his carb and energy needs and if not, to make adjustments to ensure that he gets sufficient fuel to exercise and sufficient protective nutrients to help him to continue growing.
I have written many articles on the subject of diets for sportsmen and women. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read articles 4, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 46 to obtain information about the dietary needs of individuals who train intensively. There is also info on the Fitness site. Click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition'.

1

Dear Anne