Question
Posted by: Johnny | 2009-08-09

Sweet potatos

Hi doc. I read that bodybuilders consider sweet potatos superior carbs. Why is this? As a cyclist, are sweet potatos the best source of carbs for me or is pasta better? Which is best for my purposes  normal pasta or wholewheat pasta? Also, I have iron deficiency and I read that sweet potatos inhibits iron absorpsion. Is this true? Should I avoid sweet potatos? Thanx again doc!

Dear Johnny
Sweet potatoes are regarded as an excellent source of carbohydrates, dietary fibre and vitamin A, so they are recommended in general for good health. They have a medium GI, so you can certainly use them and pasta for your regular meals. I am not aware of the fact that sweet potatoes inhibit iron absorption and doubt this statement because the vegetables/grains that do inhibit iron absorption usually contain high levels of phytates (e.g. spinach or wholewheat bread). To help with the iron deficiency eat foods that are rich in iron such as liver, red meat, fish (these foods are also rich in protein), egg yolk, iron-fortified breakfast cereals and dried fruit. Have a glass of orange or grapefruit juice with your breakfast cereal because vitamin C helps with the absorption of iron. Take a complete vitamin and mineral supplement like Centrum or Supradyn Forte to build up your body iron stores.