Posted by: Ria | 2012-10-22

sweet craving

About 7 years ago I stopped drinking and smoking. Since then, I''m addicted to sweet stuff that I would not before touch with a ten foot pole. Now, I''m absolutely making a pig of myself with sweet stuff. This ''sweet craving'', is it part of binge eating disorder, or a do I lack something in my body. I haven''t been taking any sugar in my coffee or tea for the last 33 years, but will eat sweet stuff until I get heartburn. What is wrong with me please.....?

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Ria,
It sounds a little like you have fallen prey to the forbidden fruit. I have always advocated a balanced diet, with no exclusions, but everything in moderation. I suggest that you consult with a dietician and look at implementing a balanced diet. Too much sugar will leave your blood sugar levels climbing and falling fast, and leaving you craving more sugars to raise the blood sugar levels again. Moderate is the way. Do not completely abstain, as you will likely crave again.

Posted by: Mia | 2012-10-23

Try and replace sweets with fruits. And if you crave chocolate you can get skinny hot chocolate (novu) at Woolworths. This always works for me.

Reply to Mia
Posted by: Mari | 2012-10-23

The crawings for sweet stuff is usually triggerd with something you ate or drank. High GI food will typically trigger you to eat sweet stuff. Try avoid sugar in your coffee / tea and avoid refined carbs

Reply to Mari