Question
Posted by: faye | 2011/02/08

sweating, pain

Dr Bets I am really puzzled as to what could be wrong with me if anything. My symptoms are excessive sweating with hot flushes but I''m 60 and those subsided a few years ago, also sweating when I get up first thing in the morning, and night sweats.The other symptom is a severe pain just medial of my shoulder blade which wakes me at night and is somewhat resistant to painkillers but with these and walking around does eventually subside enough for me to go back to sleep. The pain is just ever so slightly there is the day, but mostly the area itches in the day. Currently I am having physio to reduce the muscle spasm in the area. I have had ecg, chest and spine xrays, bone density scan, all sorts of blood tests, even mammogram, everything is okay and dermatologist says the skin''s fine, all these to try and determine the cause of these two symptoms. Do you have any idea 1) if these 2 are related and 2) what they could be due to?

Hallo Faye
Sweating can be caused by underlying lung infection, thyroid hormone problems, certain medications, certain blood diseases. See http://www.emedicinehealth.com/night_sweats/article_em.htm.
If the x/rays were normal the pain is probably muscle related. Just check if you thyroid hormone and blood sugar levels were tested too?

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/02/09

Hallo Faye