Posted by: m | 2009-10-24

dear doc

i am 21 years old and have been suffering with excessive sweating for years. i went abroad two years ago and i saw a doctor about it. he wasn' t very helpful and suggested i wait to see if it goes away. he said if its not gone by the time i' m 21 then i should consider having the sympathectomy. i have had this on my mind for years and know all the risks, but i' m getting to a stage in my life where i' m working, studying and i sweat all the time. i can' t wear certain clothes, i am paranoid about smelling funky and generally socially phobic. its destroyed my life. what steps must i take to have the procedure,should i see my gp first or what expert must i see to do the surgery? i also want my medical aid to pay for it, i was wondering if you perhaps know if they usually do..?

thanks so much

You will have to consult a GP to get a referral to a cardio-thoracic surgeon. The surgeon will be able to write a motivational request to your medical aid, in order for them to pay for the procedure.