Posted by: kayal | 2010-01-24

Sweat and Breastfeeding

hello doc,

my baby is just 23 days old. his lips are getting very dry. could you please let me know why does this happen and what remedy can i follow to protect his delicate lips?
is it advisable to use talcum powders meant for babies like Johnson &  Johnson on him after bath? how does it affect him when it gets into his mouth or nose?
another condition which bothers me a lot is that my body is sweating a lot. since i am breast feeding my baby i couldn use any talcs or body sprays. how can i get rid of this?

Expert ImageNatural health

1. the dryness might be a sign of dehydration or lack of good oils in the body. you can use Dr Haushka's lip balm. this contains no petrochemicals and is 100% natural and will not dry the lips out in the long term.
2. You can use normal Almond oil on his skin if you would like to nourish his body or add a few drops to the bath will naturally lubricate the skin.
3. Dr Haushka makes a natural deodorant which is safe to use. you will still perspire but with no odour. Perspiration is a normal response of the body and should not be stopped.

you can also use yourself salmon oil as this will get to your baby via the breast milk to help with the dry lips.

Dr Debbie