Posted by: James | 2010-05-10

Swallowing Reflex

My mother was recently diagnosed with severe Gastritis and was treated with Omeprazole. She has since suffered a severe inability to swallow. Is this a known effect of the drug?A Dr seeing her advised her Swallowing Reflext could have been affected as a side effect of the drug. Is this correctable somehow?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear James

It is a fact that all patients react differently to drugs, and that various factors influence your response to certain
drugs. Omeprazole is widely used, and swallowing difficulty is not a commonly known side-effect. I would suggest that she sees a gastro-enterologist for an examination to make a diagnosis as to the possible cause.