Posted by: Anon | 2009-01-07

I' ve got a form of progressive mus cular dys trophy since I was a year old - I' m in my 30' s now. I don' t swallow very well - bits of food seem to get stuck in my throat and I can' t cough or expel well due to muscle weakness. It' s even happening with soft foods like avocados. It seems to happen more on the left side of my throatr than the right, and will irritate and prick me for days and is most uncomfortable. It' s strange that out of a whole sandwich or banana etc...only one small piece feels stuck. I' m guessing that maybe food is getting stuck to a nasal drip or mucous, or that a tonsil may be affecting  or that food is just not going down well. It causes a lot of anxiety. I don' t know what to do or who to see. My docs are not much help. I' d hate for food to get stuck in my wind pipe.
Thanks for any advice.

Dear Anon
You may need to see a gastroenterologist - with a barium swallow x/ray they will be able to see where the food gets stuck and whether you have abnormal peristaltic movement of the esophagus muscle. It is unlikely that food will get stuck in your windpipe as there is a valve that closes off the windpipe when you swallow.