Posted by: Rene'' | 2012-01-12

Suspected Hypothyroidism

I have been reading quite a bit about Hypothyroidism and I think I might it. I’ m experiencing the following symptoms:
• I am gaining weight inappropriately and finding it difficult to lose weight
• I’ m always exhausted
• Dry and brittle hair
• Dry itchy skin
• Moody
• Trouble sleeping
• Super painful periods
So my question is do I go to my GP to get test, or I need to go to a specialist? If I need a specialist what type of specialist do I need??

Yes, your symptoms do warrant a blood test that can be done by your GP.

Posted by: anne | 2012-01-17

Your GP could request all the thyroid tests however if you want to see a specialist dealing in thyroid disorders you need to see an Endocrinolist who specialises in the endocrine system and the thyroid is a gland which is part of the endocrine system.

Make sure the GP does all the tests, full T3, T4 etc and not just 1 of them.

If your blood tests reveal your thyroid is in fact underactive, you will be prescribed more than likely eltroxin to take. It is best to take your thyroid replacement alone, first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and don''t take any vitamins straight after it. Some vitamins like calcium interfere in the absorbtion of the thyroxine.

If you google hypothyroid you will find a very informative website run by Mary Shomon. She runs an online support group.

There is a lady who is trying to set up a support group in Johannesburg for hypothyroid sufferers. Her name is Tsidi Bishop and her email address is tsidibishop at gmail dot com

Good Luck!

Reply to anne