Question
Posted by: Angie | 2010/12/20

Surviving the festive season

I have had one of the worst years of my life. I lost my dad, aunt and seven friends. I am also really unhappy at work. I am finding it really difficult to ''survive'' the festive season with everyone around me gearing up and getting excited about Christmas. For me, it is a time of great sadness. I am missing all the special people who I have lost this year. I also lost my mom 6 years ago.
This is also the first year in about six years that I have had to work. I just feel everything is really depressing.
What can I do to feel a bit better?

I think far more people feel bad, for various good reasons, during the Festive Season, than mos people realise. Sometimes one just doesn't have any Yo-Ho-Ho left, and everyone else making a fuss about their happiness ( real or simulated ) can make one feel worse, by contrast.
Purple is right about the value of keeping busy and not spending empty time feeling bad - catch up on chores, go out for a nice Christmas meal, get in a stack of DVD ( as TV often contains too many lousy programs full of YoHoHo ) and books. And work will be helpful.
And, as I do, try not to think only of who you have lost in terms of not having their physical presence, but remember them fondly for all the good reasons you still love them and for which they still live in your heart.

5
Posted by: HUH | 2010/12/21

Well said Cc... Angie just make sure you have a strong back structure with friends and family.

Reply to HUH
Posted by: cc | 2010/12/20

try to think of the day as a normal day... I am. I lost my dad about 3 months ago as well. My mom passed away 2 years ago. latley I have been feeling tirered and depressed as well. I told myself to be gratefull for the good things i have in my life and take the days as they come. I have put up the christmas tree, cleaned the house( since this helps me) . i will put on a smile for the rest of the family on christmas day even though I am feeling sad.

Reply to cc
Posted by: Rishaan | 2010/12/20

I can realate partly to what you are saying. December is also a sad time for me - a few years ago i lost my dad. Its a really difficult time - only with time does it get a bit better - you dont forget but the pain eases a bit. Try spending time with family and friends.

Reply to Rishaan
Posted by: Purple | 2010/12/20

Sorry to hear you are feeling so low.

Why not book yourself in somewhere for a massage or a treat like that on a day when you aren''t at work?
Buy some flowers to brighten up your home.

Do you not find that working over the festive season means that your focus is on something other than the trauma''s you''ve had to deal with?
Why not save up your bonus and book yourself a special holiday for a time out of season so that you have somesthing to look forward to.

Get some good DVD''s to see you through Christmas day itself and take some nice books out of hte library and try to keep yourself busy.

Reply to Purple