Question
Posted by: Tobie Openshaw | 2009-10-02

Surviving Earthquakes

I live in Taiwan which has periodic earthquakes, and I lived through the big one of 1999 which kiled over 2000 people here. Your article on earthquakes does not make ONE mention of your cellphone as a lifesaving advice - much more likely to be on you at teh time than a whistle (!). Just a fewe things to remember about your cellphone when you are trapped in an earthquake: very soon after such an event, the cellphone networks are likely to get swamped. So the sooner you make your emergency call the better . If at all possible, send a text message, it has a better chance of getting through. Send a message that states that you are trapped, your location, (City, street address and floor of the building you were on) and whether you are injured. Send this to everyone in your address book to have a higher chance of someone responding. You also need to conserve your phone' s battery. Set it on battery saving mode, or even switch it off for an hour at a time, just switching it on to check for messages.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Yes, you're quite right and it's high time I updated the article and included cell phones! Thanks so much for your input.

I do actually carry a whistle myself...but it's probably a bit eccentric...and for the most part not very useful...