Question
Posted by: Mom2B | 2010/08/13

Surrogacy

Hi, I want to be a surrogate mother for someone who does not have the priviledge of being a parent due to infertility or whatever reason. However, I take anti-depressants (Cymbalta). I have tried to change to Cipralex but this has caused a major relapse and am going back onto Cymbalta with immediate effect.

Will this medication affect the pregnancy (even though there is no genetic transfer as I am not the egg donor)???

Dear Mom2B

It is very noble of you to volunteer to be a surrogate. In being a surrogate it is quite true that there is no genetic transfer of your genes to the embryo implanted in you so therefore the may be any genetic predisposition to depression. However because the embryo and foetus will be growing in your uterus there is an exchange of blood and therefore there will be a transfer of any medication that you are taking to the foetus. The fact that the medication will therefore go to the foetus would be a possible reason as to why you may not be an ideal candidate for surrogacy. As no trials have been done on the effect of Cymbalta on the foetus one would have to assume that the drugs such as these should rather be avoided in a pregnancy state. However the final decision of surrogacy ultimately relies with the fertility specialist as well as couple seeking a surrogate.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

2
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/08/23

Dear Mom2B

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: Dee | 2010/08/16

If you have been told by a doctor then yes it will. But there are other safe AD''s for pregnancy, you just need to find one that suits you.

Reply to Dee