Posted by: Gogga | 2008-11-13

surgery the only answer?

Hi Dietdoc,

I' ve just read your article on gastric surgery and you invited comments, so here goes...
I find it upsetting that people are willing to basically ruin a perfectly healthy digestive tract with major surgery rather than just use self-discipline. Maybe if the surgery was reversible it would be another matter. Is it really possible that there' s no other way they can lose weight? After all, the surgery just forces them to eat less.

I' m determined to prove the experts wrong by losing 60 kg the old-fashioned way. I' m almost at the 20 kg mark, and it' s going to take 2 or 3 years more, but I' m confident that I' ll get there eventually, with the help of my dietitian and your articles and forum.
I' m curious: in your private practice, is it rare to see someone achieve this kind of weight loss without surgery?

Dear Gogga
No it is perfectly possible for certain people to lose the most amazing amounts of weight by eating the correct diet and doing plenty of exercise. This year the 3 most successful contestants in the SA Biggest Loser TV show (it was on quite early in the year on E-TV - did you see it?) managed to lose the following as I mentioned in an article I wrote at the time: "John went from 117.6 kg down to 73 kg, with a loss of 44.7 kg - stunning! Asanda dropped from 127,8 kg to 73,1 kg, losing 54.7 kg - amazing! And Sharon, our golden girl, reinvented herself from 135.1 kg down to 73,3 kg. shedding 61.8 kg - stupendous!" So it is possible, but you also need to be more lenient with other people who battle with motivation, who have complicating problems (both physical and psychological), who do not have your self-discipline, who have tried many, many other approaches and not lost weight. The actual operations were initially designed to lower high blood fat levels in patients with cholesterol and other lipid problems, but then the surgeons found that besides lowering blood fat levels, these ops also made the patients lose a lot of weight. Nowadays with techniques like "gastric-banding" the operation is also reversible.
I will be interested for reports on your progress Gogga and am thrilled that my forum and articles are helping you in your very worthwhile endeavour.

Posted by: Gogga | 2008-11-25

Thanks Annie and Bell! Will keep you posted on my progress. Lost 18 kg so far, I want to make it 21 before the end of the year.

Reply to Gogga
Posted by: Annie | 2008-11-25

Hi i just want to say to you " YOU GO GIRL"  i' m proud of you, i know someone who had the operation and you know what she still eats alot i mean alot but she is permanently on the toilet and she passes alot of gas alot, and it smells like death. i has to share that with you. because she still doesn' t eat correctly she is picking up weight or standing still, i always say you are what you eat. You can do it i' m proud of you.

Reply to Annie
Posted by: Bell | 2008-11-13

I am rooting for you ALL the way, I know you can do it!!!!

Reply to Bell