Question
Posted by: Gesiggie | 2012/01/18

Surgery and antibiotics

Hi there,

I had my mitral valve repair done in 2008 - Annuluplasty ring inserted. I am going for Surgery in the next few weeks - Nissen Fundoplication and my Surgeon mentioned that I should get Prophalaxis Antibiotics before and after the operation, but then I told him as far as I know it is not necessary as my valve is fixed?

Now I am a bit unsure... should I still take prophalaxis before surgeries, dental work, etc.? what is the latest info on that?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hello Gesiggie

The latest recommendations from the American Heart Association on this subject are that all patients with artificial material used for heart valve repair should have prophylactic antibiotics under certain circumstances. These circumstances include dental procedures and respiratory procedures. However, for routine stomach procedures, such as a Nissan fundoplication, antibiotics are usually not recommended.

In your particular case therefore antibiotics are not essential, but would not be unreasonable. If you do want to take an antibiotic, a single 2G dose of amoxycillin, taken an hour before the operation, should be all that is necessary. If you are not allowed aanything by mouth at that stage then your surgeon can arrange for you to have the drug intravenously.

I hope everything goes well.

JT

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2012/01/23

Hello Gesiggie

I hope everything goes well.

JT

Reply to Cardiologist