Posted by: David | 2010-03-02

I''m a 22 year old student and will be under going a septoplasty and rhinoplasty next week. I''ve always had a deviated septum and my nose was broken as a youngster. My Surgeon says he''ll be using ''Packing'' at the end of my operation. I''ve heard that this could be bad? What are your ideas on packing?

Kind Regards

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear David

Packing is used for a few reasons after nasal surgery:

1. Stabilising the nasal septum post operatively.
2. Control of bleeding.
3. Preverence of Surgeon.

Every case is different, so it is difficult to predict who would, or would not need packing. I do not prefer packing, but it is indeed required in some cases. It sounds as if you would benefit, as you are having a septoplasty as well as rhinoplasty. The latest packs are very easy to remove, and cause very little trauma.