Question
Posted by: mary | 2008/10/03

surbodinates from hell

I am so stressed since the beginning of the week I am a director in for 6 months now I am 31 yrs all my staff are older than myself 50 yrs and others 45 etc, the is this woman who gossips about me to the whole department influencing others that i don' t know my job im still young they got 20yers experince in the deptment etc, I don' t know how to handle this situation as a manager and cope because now I feel demotivated and worse they are talking behing my back, must I confront them or leave them and continue to smile as I get my fat salary, I motivate them empower them and being nice as a manager and open but really I can' t stand the gossips.

SOunds like she's awfully bitter that the job went to you and not her. Is there someone doing HR who can help deal with this ? Maybe also discuss it with YOUR boss or other directors at your level, as they have probably met similar situations in their careers. Someone may need to take her aside and say that her bitterness and gossip is not acceptable, and that if she continues being a negative influence on staff morale, she may need to be demoted, disciplined or let go, unless she can find a way to stop this and to start being helpful.