Question
Posted by: Maryna | 2011/03/03

Supposed disrespect enough for father to disown daughter?

What to do when a father ''disowns'' his 16 yr old because he felt she was direspectfull

Expert ImageTeen expert

More detail would be useful here. It depends on whether this is a reaction to what he feels is continued disrespectful behaviour or a one-off situation.

Ultimately there needs to be conversation about this and an understanding of what dad expects and what daughter expects, as respect is a two-way street. Compromise is likely to be the answer.

4
Posted by: Qutie | 2011/03/15

Yes, I think she did the correct thing. He is not teaching her anythng other than not to trust men. Maye one day when she is a grown-up she can get in contact with him again, but on her terms.

Reply to Qutie
Posted by: Maryna | 2011/03/07

Her father has been in her life on and off during the past 16 years. But more off than on. Whenever she asked him to come support her in her sport/ activities he has excuses and he has lied to her all her life. She has always left it because she was scared should she speak up he will not see her again. Now at age 16 she has had enough and told him to rather just tell her the truth than get her hopes up and lie to her as she can tell when he is lying. This is the supposed disrespect. However it is the truth and I am proud that she has found her voice and to stand up for herself. Sadly what she feared all her life is exactly the reaction she got...I would really like to hear your comment and advise.

Reply to Maryna
Posted by: Quti | 2011/03/03

Was she? Please explain so we can decide if it is in fact disrespect.

Reply to Quti
Posted by: Teen expert | 2011/03/03

Reply to Teen expert