Question

Supporting a friend

I have a friend who has been diagnosed with Bipolar. She is taking her medication regularly but she is fast becoming an alcoholic because of alcohol misuse and abuse. She is not yet acknowledging the fact that the alcohol is a problem. But it is as her husband had enough and left home. How must I approach the problem? What can I say to her? I would really appreciate your advice.

Expert ImageArchive

Psychologist:
The best is to encourage her to seek help. It sounds like she has apart from the bipolar also other problems and this is destroying her. You need to be straight with her and tell her that alcohol and medication do not go together and that alcohol is a depressant although it relieves her pain temporarily. If she carries on like this she will definitely become worse. Sometimes it helps to be firm and not to feel sorry but to put your foot down.
Suzette