Question
Posted by: sandra | 2008/05/29

support groups

Hi I was diagnosed with depression a when I was 15. Ive been off anti-depressants for just over a year now. I feel good most of the time, but I often get days when I feel suicidal. I can feel the depression creeping back again, and I dont want to go back onto anti-depressants or go through it all again. I was thinking that maybe I should join a support group?? but I dont know where I would look for one. Please help. I am 17 at the moment, in Cape town.

OK. YOu're very wise to recognize that Depression is something that has to be taken seriously, as must thoughts of suicide. A support group is a good idea --- contact the Anxiety/Depression Support group ( number on this page, and they also have a website ) to check if there's a support group within reach of you. Also, discuss this situation with your parents. Antidepressants shouldnt be avoided where they are needed. And CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) is a specific method of counselling ( the Depression/Anxiety Support group can point you to some local shrinks providing it ) which has been shown in good research to be as effective as antidepressants.