Question
Posted by: penny | 2009-04-01

supplements that work for sugar?

Cyberdoc referred me to you. Do you know if diabecinn and cholesterex have been proven to work? I want to handle my slight sugar and cholesterol problems naturally but don' t want too be flushing my money down the toilet.

Dear Penny
Diabecinn which is a cinnamon extract used to treat diabetes, may assist with lowering blood sugar levels. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then do a Search for the article I wrote a few weeks ago on "Cinnamon Confusion' outlining research results to date. At the present moment we don't have sufficient good quality research results to be able to arrive at a firm conclusion that cinnamon is beneficial for blood sugar problems. I am personally not acquainted with Cholesterex, but as it contains policosanol, it may well bind with dietary cholesterol and prevent its uptake. This will not prevent your body from making its own cholesterol, so you may not experience a dramatic reduction. You can of course control both your mild sugar and cholesterol problems by diet alone combined with exercise. Spend the money on consulting a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) to assist you with a diet for these 2 problems.