Posted by: Sanet | 2013-01-31

Supplements and diet

Hi, I gained 14kg in 3 months, which is terrible for me. I was already not at a healty BMI berfore the weight gain. I had cravings for mil products: milk, ice cream, cream and cheese. I would eat a whole tub of cream in one day. I''ve seent a dietician and her approach is low glycemic index diet. I have a history of heart disease in my family, my father had a heart attack when he was 42 and died at 53. Also the rest of the men in the family died due to heart attacks. The dietician wants me to take Omega 3 and 6 and eat salmon etc. Is that really going to make a difference? I already spend a fortune on food now that I''m eating properly. And she recommended Inofolic that apparently helps for metabolic syndrome. All my blood tests came back normal, except for a low Vit D. So if my cholesterol is fine and all the other tests, do I really need the supplements. And will it in any way assist in my weight loss? My colleague goes to a doctor with a slimming clinic and injects herself daily. I don''t know if that is such a good idea, but she lost a lot of weight. I don''t think I lost anything the past week.

Dear Sanet
Your dietitian has studied human nutrition, diseases and diets for many years and has more knowledge about the dietary treatment of potential heart disease and overweight which seems to be triggered by severe cravings in your case, than untrained people selling slimming pills and potions. The use of injections of human growth hormone, or just saline (a dummy treatment) has been denounced repeatedly by leading nutrition experts. You can of course disregard what the dietitian has advised you to do and join the injectors at the slimming clinic, but I do think that I would rather go with a sensible approach. You may not lose 20 kg in a week, but you may also learn healthy eating habits for the rest of your life.
At the end of the day it is up to you.
Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'Food as medicine' and 'Healthy heart' to read articles about heart health, including the use of omega fatty acids. Also click on ''Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. While you are on the Diet site do a Search with 'Myo-Inositol, Infertility, & Metabolic Syndrome' to read the article I wrote about the discovery that “Inofolic” (a combination of myo-inositol & folic acid) can help to reverse metabolic syndrome and obesity. You can also check out the articles on the various slimming scams and fad diets on the Weight loss section of the site.