Question
Posted by: Marlene | 2010/05/28

Supplements

I am 57 and overweight, have osteoporosis and strokes in my family. Because of that I avoid fats as far as possible, even good fats, because all fats makes you fat. Therefore I use 1500mg Omega 3 and 500mg Omega 6 daily. I also use a multivitamin and 2X Mega Calcium daily. Still my cholesterol is 6. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong. And am I using too much supplements?

Dear Marlene
The supplements you are taking should not raise your blood cholesterol levels. In fact that Omega-3 will reduce them. You may be an individual who does not react to dietary fat and cholesterol restrictions. Chat to your doctor about the use of statins to help you lower your blood cholesterol levels. If you could lose some weight this would also help to reduce cholesterol, help prevent strokes and strengthen your bones. Try going for brisk walks every day for 30 min increasing how far and fast you walk as you lose weight and get fitter. If this still does not help with the weightloss then please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will assess what you are eating (you may still be ingesting too much energy to lose weight despite not eating any fat) and plan an individual slimming diet for you which should still contain at least 2 tablespoons of mono- or polyunsaturated oils a day to ensure that you don't develop an essential fatty acid deficiency.

1

Dear Marlene