Question
Posted by: Shaun | 2009-07-01

Supplements

I started working out in the gym, and feel better and look better every day.
" Just by eating properly and working hard" 

All my friends started using supplements some for weight loss, and some to gain weitht.

Questions 
Are supplements bad for you?
How many people use supplements in South Africa?
Do you have any medical record of any kidney, heart or liver failure?

Please advice.

Many thanks.

Kind regards.
Shaun

Dear Shaun
I am so pleased that you are making such good progress in such a healthy and positive way without using supplements. It is difficult to answer your first question because there are thousands of different supplements on the market specifically aimed at people who want to lose weight, gain muscle mass and improve their sport performance. Medically developed weight gain supplements like Ensure, Fresubin, etc (well balanced meal supplement products that have an increased energy content), are usually safe to use. Other supplements that are loaded with protein, amino acids, many different components such as L-carnitine, ephedrine, etc, are all potentially harmful. Even the vitamin and mineral contents of these supplements are usually totally excessive and may do harm. My advice would be to avoid all supplements that are not medically formulated and TESTED. I do not have statistics on how many people in SA use supplements, but the number must be very high if you consider how many products are on the market and how well these companies are doing. Reports of deaths due to dehydration after the use of ephedrine/nor-epinephrine containing products have been reported in the scientific literature. As regards the other negative side-effects, these usually emerge when one of the products is banned.
Stick to your formula of "eating properly and working hard", it is the safest and healthiest way of losing weight, gaining muscle mass and being healthy.