Question
Posted by: Claire | 2011/11/04

Supplementary fibre in diet

I am 5 months pregnant and continuously constipated. I have tried increasing my intake of water and natural food fibres but this is not giving me the relief I need. I have looked at products on shelf and the only one I can see that seems to be safe in pregnancy is Agiolax. Please could you advise me.

Dear Claire
Congratulations on your pregnancy. Constipation is one of the problems that pregnant women may encounter because of hormonal changes and the fact that the developing foetus can press on the abdominal organs. The first rule of pregnancy is not to take any over-the-counter medication that the doctor who is overseeing your pregnancy has not approved. Please phone your dr and discuss the use of laxatives such as Agiolax with him/her and only use such products if the dr has approved. According to my copy of MIMS this product can cause the side-effect of "diarrhoea with excessive water and electrolyte loss esp of potassium during prolonged use." This could be particularly harmful in pregnancy, so first check with your dr before you take any medications, including herbal ones. You can try eating boiled dried fruit and high-fibre bran together with plain yoghurt in the mornings to ensure regularity. Soak dried fruit, esp prunes overnight and boil with 1-2 t of honey.
I do hope that you will be able to improve your regularity by using natural foods.

2
Posted by: Makayla | 2011/11/04

Hey Claire, shame man, constipation totally sucks when you are pregnant I know! what really helps me is Colon Cleanse that you can buy at heath shops its pure fibre that you dissolve in water, take it twice a day about 2 tsp per drink and drink at least 2 litres of water a day and it helps believe me :)

Reply to Makayla

Dear Claire