Posted by: Shamie | 2009-02-09

Supplement for children

My 2 kids  boy age 8+ and girl age 6+ , have busy days starting from 6:30am up until they go to bed at 8:30pm. They do have time to relax and just play, mostly outdoors &  video games &  TV are not encouraged. They eat 3 balanced meals &  luxuries are kept for weekend treats.
Sometimes they are a bit lethargic in the afternoon &  I would like to know if you could recommend something to boost their energy levels or supplement their diet with a multivitamin.
Thank you!

Dear Shamie
Most children experience low blood sugar levels in the late afternoon. You can certainly give them health snacks (click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and 'Healthy snacks') to provide them with a bit of energy because they have a small stomach capacity and it is a long period from lunch to supper esp if they play actively. Only give them multivitamins is they have been diagnosed with a vitamin deficiency. Also remember that active people need plenty of rest, so ensure that they get plenty of sleep every night.