Question
Posted by: Jessica | 2011-01-05

Supplement and Diet

Dear DietDoc,

Happy New Year and all the best for 2011!

I have two questions:

1. Regarding Calcium intake: I am 27 and have a family history of osteoporosis and I am not a fan of dairy. I occasionally eat yoghurt and a fair amount of cheese (though i limit this because of a family Hx of cholesterol). Because I take in so little dairy I am currently taking one MenCal7 tablet daily. Would you say this be enough?

2. At the ancient age of 27 I still have skin break outs on my back.. I suspect these are largely hormonal, but I am getting married in 4 months and I really would like this gone! I will be starting the pill in about 2 months and I''m hoping this will help. I have started taking a zinc and selenium supplement as I''ve heard this is good for bad skin. What are your thoughts on this. In addition, is there anything dietary you would suggest in this regard?

Thank you in advance as I know you give great responses.

Kind regards,

Jessica

Dear Jessica
Thank you for your good wishes. I too would like to wish you a very happy 2011 and a wonderful wedding. If you don't use 3 servings of dairy products a day to provide the 1200 mg of calcium adult women need per day, then it is good that you are taking MenaCal.7. One tablet a day should be sufficient seeing that you do have some yoghurt and eat cheese occasionally. For your skin condition you need to consult a Dermatologist ASAP so that your skin looks lovely when you get married. The Dermatologist will be able to advise if you need hormonal treatment or other types of medication. Taking zinc and selenium may not cure the acne, but discuss the use of this supplement with the dr.
Have a wonderful wedding day

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-01-06

Dear Jessica
Have a wonderful wedding day