Question
Posted by: dee | 2010/11/22

supervisor

Hi CS
I started working in this company 4 months ago and all has been well and everyday is different with new things to learn but the one thing that bothers me everyday is my supervisor,she is never willing to help ,she is always grumpy and unaproachable it has come to the point that i dont want to deal with her anymore ,i just come to work to do my job and i make sure that i just dont deal with her at all,i would rather resolve whatever problem that needs her by asking someone else,i dont even want to look at her thats how bad it is I dont even speak to her unless i realy need to ,i believe that when you are in a position where you need to assist people and lead them you should be very open and inviting...I cant wait till they assign me to a new supervisor when ever that will be,because i know how to treat people and i expect the same ,but how do i deal with her in the meantime while im still under her supervision,please help ,im not a difficult person but this is too much.please help

I wonder what is the purpose of a company hiring someone as a supervisor when they don't actually supervise, de-motivate and are unwilling to be helpful. Can't you discuss this with HR ? They need both to assign you an actually useful supervisor, and maybe try to solve whatever problems she has with her role in the company

3
Posted by: Another HR person | 2010/11/23

I need to just ask you - is this attitude only towards you, or is he/she like that in general?

If it''s just towards you, then I agree with Purple, however, I would recommend that before you go to the department head, first make an appointment to sit down and speak to your supervisor and ask her why she behaves in this manner towards you. Thereafter do it in the same way Purple advises. Not how she makes you feel, but what you expect form her as a supervisor. You need to approach this this in a progressive manner, which shows maturity on your part that you have tried to resolve it at the lowest possible level before " runniong"  to the department head/HR for help. First the supervisor, if no change, then the Department Head, if no change, then HR to lodge a formal grievance.

Reply to Another HR person
Posted by: Purple | 2010/11/23

Go and see your supervisors direct boss - make an appointment for a specific time, don''t just pitch up.

Speak about the specific issues that you have concerns about, try not to be emotional about it and don''t talk about how she makes you feel (yes, I know that is a big part of the problem, but its a quick way to make a manager tune out and think you are being subjective).

Then you need to say what you would like done about it - so ask that when the next opportunity comes up to be moved onto a different team, that you please be considered for it as although you haven''t experienced problems with supervisors before, you are finding her moodiness and lack of interest in the job difficult to work with.

If that doesn''t help, go to your HR department and lay a formal grievance, and tell them what you have already done to try and solve the problem yourself, as the first thing they will tell you to do is to speak to the supervisor about it and if that doesn''t work, speak to the manager.

Reply to Purple