Posted by: Pauline | 2009-03-10

We have just moved to Dunedin NZ and the ozone is all most gone over the South Island, I need to apply sunscreen to my 3 year old but they are always so thick etc etc. Is it possible to let him use for example Nivea face lotion with 30 sunblock it is not water resitent etc but for day wear to school would the Nivea not be ok as it is not sticky or thick, it is face mosturiser with a built in sunblock?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Pauline, thank you for the question.

There should be no problem using a non water resistant SPF for daily use, however it must contain zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide so please check for these ingredients with the Nivea you are using. I would even look out for a SPF 50 and ensure as much as possible that sun avoidance is practiced (umbrellas, hat, etc). I wish all the best for you and your family in New Zealand.