Question

Sunflower seeds

Hi there doctor

We have a 13yr old African grey. We got her 6yrs ago. She lived in a badgie cage and was in a really bad shape. The only food she wanted to eat was sunflower seeds. Later on she started eating mealies and peanuts. She doesn' t eat the peanuts anymore.

We took her to this place Animal Zone who spesilize in birds. The doctor said that we shouldn' t give her sunflower seeds anymore so we bought this other food, which she doesn' t eat yet...

My question is what happens to an African Grey if they eat sunflower seeds? The doctor didn' t explain to us why it was bad.

Dear Anon

I do not know enough about birds to help you, give the bird vet a call and ask him.

3
Posted by: Chill | 2009-11-02

Carol' s right, parrots WILL starve themselves.

Get the parrot pellets, and if the bird won' t eat them, let it have access to the sunflower seed for 15 mins twice a day. And do the other stuff Carol said.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2009-11-02

Sunflower seeds contain oils which if given as a sole diet will lead to fatty liver disease and will kill your bird.

A few sunflower seeds are fine , but they must have a more varied diet.

Weaning them off sunflowers seeds is difficult and a bird will starve itself .

I would suggest soaking some pellets in a little fruit juice .... offering bits of fruit and veggies , but do this in the morning when its hungry. How tame is she ??? will she sit with you while you are eating ? if so then offer her food from your plate ..with parrots its often a case of monkey see monkey do .

Good luck and be patient:)

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Cybervet | 2009-11-02

Dear Anon

Reply to Cybervet