Question
Posted by: Dr Carl Albrecht | 2012/01/15

Sunflower seed oil

Can yoiu really recommend sunflower seed oil with an omega-6 to omega-3 ratio of 72 to 1 where a ratio of 2 to 1 is ideal? We banned sunflower seed oil out of our house about 10 years ago and use canola oil instead.

Dear Dr Carl
Good to hear from you again. If you remember the article I wrote with your assistance on 'Debunking canola oil myths' which is available at: www.health24.com/dietnfood/DietDocs.../15-1871,12342.asp
then you are aware of the fact that I am in favour of canola oil and recommend it to my Readers. In an ideal world, we would all be using canola oil, eating fish 4 times a week, buying only organically produced foods and adhering to all the best nutritional practices that are know to humanity at present. But in view of the 7 billion population that our overburdened planet has to support and the fact it is estimated that more than 2 billion people suffer from famine, malnutrition and hidden hunger (many of them in Africa and also in SA), those of us who can afford canola oil should keep in mind that many less fortunate people in our country exist on recycled cooking oil and hard margarine and dripping derived from animal fats. I would rather have such people use some sunflower seed oil which at least contains polyunsaturated fatty acids and some vit E, than the dangerous trans-fat laden fats listed above. If we can eliminate poverty and hunger and ensure food security in SA then we will hopefully all be able to eat the best possible diet in future, including canola oil and other foods with a superior omega-3 to omega-6 ratio.

1

Dear Dr Carl