Question
Posted by: Adam | 2009-12-02

Summer Fat

I basically have two questions. In order to answer, a little bit of background.

I generally eat (and prefer) healthy, low fat, low oil, crisp foods. I' d say the only " bad"  foods I like is bread, and cheese. I don' t like sweet things, and rarely have any. I do like the occasional glass or two of dry white (summer) or red (winter). I don' t generally drink beer, and never anything else. I exercise 3 times a week for 1.5 hours (1 hour with a personal trainer).

Question 1:
Unlike most people, I seem to be very energetic in winter, I' m up early, and generally, my body is in good shape. I find it easy to stay in shape, at my target weight. Come summer, though, I pick up weight quickly. I have little energy, and struggle more to get up in the mornings. My gym routine also suffers in summer. The only difference is that I drink white wine in summer, as opposed to red in winter, and tend to eat more salads (without dressing). Neither of these I do in large enough quantities to really affect me as badly as it does - I easily pick up 6 to 9 kg in summer! Could this be because of my diet? But how?

Question 2:
When I pick up weight, I tend not to have " love handles" , but rather a bloated tummy. In fact, I often feel bloated and uncomfortable in summer. Even my toilet routine suffers as a result of this. I suspect it could be bread/wheat products, but why now, at age 39, when all my life it' s been fine? Is it wheat, or is there something else wrong? And why only in summer?

Dear Adam
I must say that it is strange that you react totally differently to most people who pick up weight in winter and lose weight in summer. Perhaps the fact that you feel more energetic in winter and do more exercise because it is colder, may play a role. I can only imagine that the heat of summer makes you lethargic and then you do less exercise. It would be ideal if you could exercise in an airconditioned gym! If you suffer from bloating this could be due to a wide variety of factors: irritable bowel syndrome, ulcers, gallbladder problems, food intolerances or allergies, stress, enzyme deficiencies, etc. It may be a good idea to have a medical checkup when next you suffer from the bloating so that we can obtain a medical diagnosis and make changes to your diet.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2009-12-03

Dear Adam