Posted by: Olia | 2013-02-08

Sulfur poisoning

I have used Tomato dust with sulfur in it and obviously inhaled some of that dust, as it was windy. I have severe symptoms of tonsils and throat irritation. I lost my voice. How shall I restore my throat? Tonsils got better as soon as I started using antibiotic, throat still bad. Please advice. Thank you.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

The fact that your condition improved on using antibiotics suggests you've had an infection; the sulfur inhalation may have worsened it. If your throat does not show definite signs of improvement within a week then you should consult your doctor again. Consult him/her immediately if it gets worse or you have new symptoms.

Some home management tips for sore/irritated throat: get plenty of rest and fluids, try gargling with warm salt water; don't smoke; ask your pharmacist for non-prescription lozenges or other remedies. Don't apply the dust again without using a mask.