Question
Posted by: SuzieQ | 2009-01-28

Suicide ... Drug abuse ... Gay

My best friend whom I' ve known for close to 15 years is going through a horrible time and I do not know how to help!? He is 21 and has recently confessed to being gay, he has admitted to me that he feels alone, insignificant and unloved, I suspect that he is extremely depressed and I know he has attemted suicide once before. His parents are not involved at all anymore and he is staying with " shady"  people, working in a irrespectable place and experimenting with hard drugs. This is very sad and unlike him - he' s scared of becoming a " wash - out"  and he knows that it is the road he is on now, how do I help getting hom OKAY again???

Make it clear that you appreciate that he is finding this difficult at present, but that he is not alone, not insignificant nor unloved, and encourage him to seek counselling to sort this reaction out more efficiently and effectively --- any local gay organization should be able to recommend understanding counsellors who could help him here. And if he may be significantly Depressed, then he should also see a general shrink or at least GP, to be assessed and receive appropriate treatment for that

1
Posted by: SuzieQ | 2009-01-28

Thank you. I will do so ...

Could you please reffer any such organisations, so that I might mention them in detail to him?

And how would we go about looking for an appropriate shrink etc. for this type of situation?

(We live in the JHB south area Gauteng.)

Reply to SuzieQ