Question
Posted by: sceptic | 2008/05/30

Suicide attempts and funtionality

I'm wondering about something...a psychiatrist has told my sister that anyone who's EVER made a suicide attempt,will NEVER ever ever be functiioning much better that 40%. !!????

I'm seriously doubting this careless statement made to my sister. She attempted suicide last year, and miraculously survived. These days she's back at work, studying full time, and is much happier. She's also engaged to a very very supportive man.

CS, what's your opinion on this?

What a comprehensively stupid comment, with no relation whatever to facts or scientific research, and utterly untrue as well as totally unhelpful.
One thing I have learned over the decades --- people rarely respect you for guessing, WHEN THEY CAN TELL THAT YOU ARE GUESSING or thumb-sucking. But if you guess in numbers, they immediately assume your statement is true and that you are clever.
If you say " People who attempt suicide tend to be shorter than others", you won't be taken seriously. If, with no more evidence and knowledge, you say, instaed, "People who attempt suicide are 38.7% shorter than others" people will assume you know what you're talking about and are accurate.
This twerp is merely showing his own prejudices, and perhaps his own history of failure in properly helping people who have made suicide attempts. Of course in real life, former attempters run from some who are dead a week later, to those who go on not only to happy and productive lives, but who become celebrities and historically important figures.
And of course, what I say here is 98.4 per cent accurate, and anyone who can say what he said are functioning at les than 40 % of optimum.

1
Posted by: Sceptic | 2008/05/30

sorry, just want to make an ammendment - the psych said that about anyone who's made more than THREE attempts.

Reply to Sceptic