Question
Posted by: ANONYMOUS | 2011/03/04

SUICIDE AND BENEFITS

I need to convince a colleague that benefits/policies will not be paid out in the event of suicide. Do your insurance policies and provident funds at work pay out when you commit suicide. Please no silly comments. this is serious. Thank you

Most don't, for obvious reasons ( imagine how it might encourage suicide in some situations ), but it all depends on the wording of the policy. Some will not cover it for the first year or 3 after the policy is taken out. Some will indeed pay nothing. Some will pay a pension ( as distinct from life insutance payout ) to the extent that it was earned by the individual's working life.
But the most urgent thing is to talk with the person and encourage them to see a shrink urgently and to work on whatever is making them feel this way. As some readers comment, often a severely depressed person becomes so fixed on their own misery as to ignore the impact of their death on others, both financial and more importantly, psychological

15
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/01/03

Some times a person feels trapped no amount of talking can help I know I'm there right now

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: William | 2016/08/15

I'm there to. If I could find life insurance that would pay out in the event of suicide I sign up right now and be gone as soon as possible.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/12/16

My colleague committed suicide,he hanged himself in his house with a tie,and was contributing to psspf monthly since 2012 ,what benefits will he get from the fund.

Posted by: Experience | 2011/03/05

Well, from my experience in two seperate incidents where death could ONLY have been suicide the Insurers could not wait to pay out policies in full, immediately. Good luck to the beneficiaries !!

Reply to Experience
Posted by: Mmmmmmmmmmm | 2011/03/05

Is this for real?

Why would any suicidal person waste their time posting here when they have a bus or train to catch?

Why the caps reply from the original poster? This is getting thin people and losing its entertainment value fast.

DON" T be contrived, its easily seen through!

Reply to Mmmmmmmmmmm

Posted by: ANONYMOUS | 2011/03/04

tHANKS FOR ALL THE FEEDBACK. I HAVE SECRETLY BOOKED A SESSION WITH A SHRINK. HOPE ITS GONNA WORK. THANKS GUYS AND LADIES

Reply to ANONYMOUS
Posted by: Eish!!!!!! | 2011/03/04

Would you would be far better convincing him to NOT commit suicide rather than the financial implications of such an action!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to Eish!!!!!!
Posted by: QQ | 2011/03/04

Yes pension benefits will pay out.

Reply to QQ
Posted by: Casper | 2011/03/04

It doesn''t really matter because she will be gone, even if the people that are left don''t have money, she won''t feel anything because she''ll be dead.

Reply to Casper
Posted by: Purple | 2011/03/04

Pension benefits are paid out to dependents regardless of the manner of death.
Insurance will depend on the specific policy taken out.
I don''t think people who commit suicide are thinking of anyone except themselves at the time, so is this actually going to make any difference?

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Vaal Donkie | 2011/03/04

My mother''s life ensurance from Discovery will pay out in the event of suicide, but there''s an exclusion period of either 1 or 3 years (not 100% sure). So, after that period, she can off herself and the insurance will still pay out. Depends on what your contract says though...

Reply to Vaal Donkie
Posted by: Phil | 2011/03/04

From experience  a person that really wants to comit suicide  does not care about the people in their lifes at all!. They just want to die  and if they serious  they will do it.
We don''t understand what goes on in a person shead that is in such a dark hole  but all i can say is that it can''t be nice.

Reply to Phil
Posted by: Nikky | 2011/03/04

Hi Anon,

Woman is right, no policy will pay out and her family would prefer her around. I personally know people whose father committed suicide and they now want to do it. If the person has kids, it will affect them for life. Suicide is not an option, going to talk to someone is.

Hope you can convince your colleague.

Reply to Nikky
Posted by: Woman | 2011/03/04

No insurance or policy will pay out in the event of death by suicide or drug overdose.

Why does she want to look after people after her death. does she not realise that those people would rather have her than money?

Reply to Woman