Question
Posted by: Ponylicious | 2011/09/22

Suicide

My in-laws have been through a very tough time financially and my husband and I work for them. My mother in-law has tried to commit suicide 4 times. My husband has not been getting his salary correctly, drips and drabs here and there. After petrol and electricity it does not leave much for bread and milk for the kids. I have been getting quite a fare amount of money from my mother who finally had enough. She phoned my mother in law yesterday and spoke to her about the fact that I am always trying borrow money from her. My salary does not cut it, I am an admin clerk and I earn R700 a week, so my husband salary pays the rent, car, medical aid etc. My mother in law told my mom yesterday that she wants to take her life and everything will be fine. How do with talk to someone who always bursts into tears with regards to anything you say to her and then she threatens to commit suicide? Even if I talk to her about anything she threatens this which makes me feel awkward.

Good comments from Maria.
You both surely need to be less dependent on the in-laws, who sound more wrapped up in their own concerns than actually caring about your needs as a couple or as individuals. You surely can both earn more for better work, working for almost anyone else. MMaybe the m-i-l needs psychiatric care, but threatening to take her life whenever she's asked to care for others, is a seedy and selfish way to behave. Why does this all have to be "discussed" with her, rather than with the f-i-l ?

2
Posted by: Maria | 2011/09/22

My suggestion is that both you and your husband look for other jobs as a matter of urgency. A quick look at jobs for admin clerks suggests that you could be earning a whole lot more than R700 a week. You can get cleaning jobs for more than that! Remove yourself from the situation where you are dependent on your in-laws, otherwise these problems will just continue.

Reply to Maria

Good comments from Maria.