Question
Posted by: Gracie | 2010/09/14

SUICIDE?

I recently saw an apparent suicide note on a relative''s computer and I do not know what to do ... should I tell her immediate family? I do not want her to know that I saw it as it will infuriate her that I had been using her computer .... now I feel like a snoop. It keeps me awake at night and I worry about her. She is going through a very difficult time ... I don''t know how to approach her to talk to her about it ... please help!! Thanks

I wonder under what circumstances you happened to see something so private on someone else's computer. Apparently you were being nosy, as having that sort of access to someone else's computer isn't common, especially if they are drafting a suicide note. Was it entirely accidental ? Or is it possible that she might have partly wanted you to see it ?
You could choose to talk with her about the troubles she is going through, and emphasize that you care about her and worry about her, and feel concerned that she really deserves some proper help.
And you could very gently discuss with her closer family that you are concerned that she may be getting deeply depressed about her troubles, and that you fear there might be some risk of suicide. It may be best not to talk about actually seeing the draft suicide note as such, not so much to protect yourself, but because otherwise the discussions could become all about the privacy issue, and less about the fact that your friend needs help

4
Posted by: Gracie | 2010/09/14

I have suspected for a while now that she is feeling that way as she often makes comments to the effect that she has had enough and wants to end it all ... I think she wanted someone to see it, why save such a letter on a pc which is not password protected & mdash - unless she did not think that anyone would ever use her pc without her permission .... I don''t know what to think - but I do know that her family needs to know about it .... She is a very private person and when I have on occasion asked her what is bothering her, she would tell me it is work-related, but now I know there is something much more serious going on in her life.

Reply to Gracie
Posted by: Gracie | 2010/09/14

Thank you for your input - I will see how I can approach them to tell them ....

Reply to Gracie
Posted by: Fielies | 2010/09/14

If your relative took the time to type something out on computer, I would say that she is definately thinking about it. If I was you, I would mention it to her family, just be careful HOW you say it to them. Let them decide what they are to do about it. If this was my relative, I would want to know about it.

Reply to Fielies