Question
Posted by: Me | 2010/08/17

suicide?

Please help me. In short, got divorced in 2007 had unplanned baby in 2008, breast cancer 2009, mastectomy and reconstruction 2010. I have recently been very down, even the slightest things in life is too much to handle. Then I''''m fine again. I have been 2x to a pshycologist and thought to have been better lately. Well saturday my husband was drinking. as usual, he finished a bottle of captail morgan rum. I got so upset that he can not contain himself, ended up crying uncontrolably (by myself) but what scared me is the throughts that went through my mind. I was visualising just blowing my brains out, actually walked to the room where the gun is kept. He stopped me because he called and asked where I am and what I am doing. I just do not want to feel sad any more. I have not told anybody about it, feel like an utter nutcase. Must I tell my husband to hide the safe key? I do not share feelings easily and always wear a "  happy mask"  Do you think I at risk of actually going through with it. People that commit suicide always seemed to me to be totally NUTS.

Its hardly surprising that you have become depressed, especially with your husband's unhelpful drinking.
yes, it would be wise to ask your husband to hide the key of the gun safe. But lets also do something serious to deal with your depression, too, as it is a treatable condition. See a psychiatrist for a proper assessment of treatment options, including antidepressant meds, and al;so a more business-like psychologist, preferably one using CBT methods, to help you deal better with the negative thoughts.
There's nothing nuts about getting into despair, even though when depressed, problems are magnified, and solutions get evasive. Get the help you deserve, and you should be able to get through this bad patch and regain the positivity that you used to have

1