Question
Posted by: Ange | 2008/10/04

Suicide

I tried to commit suicide a few days ago and ended up in hospital. I honestly didnt do it for attention, i just couldnt take life anymore. I dont know if its depression but its my mom, WE started fighting alot and shes on my case about everything. No one seems to understand, Im not depressed but the psycologist that keeps telling me that is making me believe it, How do i get sucked out of this?? Its my mom who makes me feel this way and now no one trusts me and i cant be on my own!!! Its not like im going to try kill myself again but how do i get them to believe it?? Seriously me being watched like a hawk is whats its deepressing me and i dont know what to do. i feel alone in this world. and what are thes stupid tablets they giving me its called Cytec or something like that. it makes me sleepy and i hate them. PLS HELP

There could well be significant depression here, of course, but also, as you say, significant conflict with your mom, and simil;ar problems needing to be worked out ( and they CAN be worked out saisfactorily ). I'm not sure whether you are seeing a psychologist or a psychiatrist, but if they have assessed you properly, and consider you to be depressed, it would be worth taking thats seriously and discussing treatment options, including medication, supervised by your family, and counselling, especially of thr CBT format. I wonder whether what you think of as "depressed" and what the psych means, are perhaps a bit different. Someone who attempts suicide and thinks life not worth living, is seldom someone not depressed. YOu can get people to believe you are no longer a danger to yourself bu consistently for a considerable period of time not acting in any way that would be a risk to yourself, and by cooperating fully in treatment. You realize, surely, that what you did must have been very frightening to them, and would make it hard for anyone who actually cares about you, to trust you to protect yourself, just now.
I'm not sure which drug you are on, not recognizing "Cytec" --- ask the pharmacist to explain the drug and its side-effects to you, and to give you its generic or chemical name ( often the same medicine is sold under different trade names ). Most drugs cause more side=-effects in the first couple of weeks, as your body gets used to having it around. So you will probably get less sleepy before long. Similarly, with antidepressants, they take 2 to 3 weeks to show their full benefits, so have some patience, and you may soon find better reasons to appreciate their benefits.
But I wouldn't want you to be treated solely with drugs, and counselling is definitely needed --- you would feel less alone with someone expert and understanding to talk with, and you could together plan ways to help your mother understand your woes better.

1
Posted by: another mom | 2008/10/04

Ange,

How old are you. How did you try to commit suicide? Were you on medication before.

You may not feel you are depressed but anyone who feels that life is not worth living is experiencing some kind of depression. Most people use the word depression lightly saying they feel depressed when they mean their moods change.

You may not feel like you tried to commit suicide because you were looking for attention. The mere fact that you did and survived, you are crying out for help. The fact that you and your mom do not get along is not reason enough to end your life. There are other methods of working through this problem, through communication, negotiation, etc. It sounds like both your mom and you would benefit from some counselling. Perhaps your mom doesn' t really understand just HOW you have been feeling. Perhaps you feel that she is trying to control your life and you have no freedom of choice to express yourself or do as you may wish to. Most mothers only have the best interests of their children and want them to succeed in life. You may not agree with anything I am saying. Its okay.

Who put you on the medication and are you receiving any type of therapy, in the form of CBT counselling? If not, perhaps tell your mom you would like to have some counselling and you wish her to also support you and come with you.

You may need a third party to listen and help your mom understand where you are coming from, what your needs, fears and concerns are.

If you want to chat to someone now, call Lifeline' s number above.

Hope you feel better soon and your mom understands you better.

Reply to another mom